1.30.2011

Yellow Pig Porter*

Mmmmm. So we turned our attention to a porter this weekend. The grains were a mix of chocolate and caramel which held our attention with dizzying ease. This one seemed to come along very smoothly; the process that is. I stuck, generally, to the called-upon recipe from Midwest Supplies. However, as is my wont, I did increase the addition of the Tettnang hops at 60 minutes from 1.5 ounces to 2. Threw in an ounce of Williamette at 2 minutes. I finally remembered to include a clarifying tablet at 20 minutes. I always forget those things. Not this time though. Maybe I was just on my game. Who knows. Anyway, I added a half-jar, about 8 oz I guess, of raw honey at 10 minutes.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The SG came in at 1.066. The recipe called for 1.062-1.067, so we're on fire there. I'm going to let this guy settle into its primary for probably 3 weeks, maybe 4, but probably 3. I'm not sure whether we'll go to a secondary for another couple weeks or not. No hurry on that decision though. I'll ruminate on it for a bit.

*Yellow Pig Porter may or may not be the name on the label. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
So, we transferred the porter to a secondary this past weekend. The FG measured 1.02; a bit higher than the 1.016 that we were anticipating. Our ABV is a portly 6%. A nice number for an easy drinking porter. A couple weeks in secondary, then we'll bottle the Yellow Pig Porter.

Dancing Lou Brewery (formerly Licking Retriever Brewery)

No comments:

Post a Comment